Saturday, June 6, 2009

e-Fights Aren't Cool!

Lately I've e-connected with acquaintances and friends that seem to focus on criticizing Christ followers who behave differently than them or criticizing churches that have a different methodology for reaching out, investing in and inspiring others.

One individual commented, "I go to church but I'm not one of those Jesus followers and besides my morals are better than the majority of those types anyway." Wow! I pray for him regularly. Another person reacted to a fellow Christ follower criticizing their Christian walk by one-upping them and throwing two criticisms back via facebook. Then a third person joined in on the feeding frenzy. I think you're beginning to smell what I'm cooking!

It's one thing to have a one-on-one, face-to-face private discussion with someone you disagree with, but to share these viewpoints in our digital-centric world of facebook, twitter, blogs, etc. is a poor example of leadership regardless of your beliefs. Let's don't fight with one another in a digital world where everyone can observe and be influenced by our e-comments. BTW - I know some will say that I am doing the same thing right now. Hopefully most of you will recognize that I am not criticizing anyone, but merely trying to influence all of us (including myself) to behave in a disruptively different manner. I doubt that I will succeed with everyone...

My point is this - we are not all perfect and we should give each other a little more mercy and grace. My Lord knows how imperfect I am. I regularly do things that take away from my ability to lead as a Christ follower. I'm sure I have caused many a believer and non-believer to stumble. It is not my desire to do so but it happens.

Be a disruptive leader by choosing not to react and criticize others where 10's, 100's and even 1,000's could be negatively influenced by our e-words.

Disrupt Someones Life Today!

No comments: